Saturday, September 28, 2013



I knew I was compromising for a long time but I thought that was what marriages were about - compromise and hard work. The daily indignities, the frustrations over being passed over, the resentment, etc, etc - I thought they were part and parcel of married life.
AND
This is such a big AND...
I didn't trust that I had it in me to hack it alone.
Here I was a strong woman with a job and a feminist to boot and middlingly overwhelming (at the time) things like finances/budgets/credit cards were a reason why I thought I needed to try again
AND
I didn't trust my parents.
I don't know why.
I can't think of a single important time in my life when I needed help that they have turned me away.
But, my mind kept telling me, they are such products of their society and I had fought so hard with them to get this marriage, so I tried once more.
AND
I really, really thought he would change. He had done so in the past - traveling because I liked to, watching new shows (!) because I was into it, trying out intelligence because I had tons of it.
At some point, I realized I had married the potential of what the boy could become and not the boy itself.

In the end, it turned out Everything I had feared & that held me back was doable.

Edit: Not just doable but insanely freeing as well.
I have to say, despite the varied emotional hues I may go through, this is by far the most liberating gift I have ever given myself.

10 comments:

Sig @ Melbourne maharani said...

Heya Sheena, I really am sorry that this all happened. I wish It hadn't but I think you have dealt with it amazingly. I'm glad you have had the support to get through it. There's a saying by a favourite person of mine - "everything is figureoutable". *hugs*

ME said...

Thank you lady!
And I may just adopt that phrase "everything is figouroutable" love it! :)

La vida Loca said...

Hey beautiful
I am so sorry. You are so strong and are dealing so well. Good to know u have support. Was thinking of you couple of months back and swear I felt a disturbance in the force. Am kicking myself for not checking in.
Big hugs

Broom said...

Divorce is often the best thing you can do for yourself. Welcome to a much better life.

Me said...

Thanks La Vida!
Broom - where's the Love button when U need it! I couldn't have said it better myself!

Kochukandhari said...

Good for you. Amma told me some time ago about a post that appeared in her reader. I'm sorry I didn't say anything then. I'm happy things worked out.

hillgrandmom said...

Am so glad for you Sheena that things worked out well!

A.D. said...

You are so much stronger than you have ever give yourself credit for. I've always known it, and now I'm glad you know it too.'
Much love & girl power,

eeprikka said...

I read the posts chronologically. And while I started with a lump in my throat and a heavy heart, by the time I got to the latest one, I heaved a sigh of relief and my heart felt lighter! So happy for you and the peace you've found! Love and hugs and mmwaahs!

Childwoman said...

Here's to new beginnings! :)