Saturday, June 30, 2012

Update # 3

So, here's another thing we have been doing.
We have been entertaining a lot - more than average for us.
I think it has to do with the fact that we know his mom comes back in Sept, and though we still have friends over when she's here, it's never quite the same...for either of us. For one thing, the boy has to accomodate her when we have guests over. Simply because her English is not very strong and he wants to make sure she's not feeling too uncomfortable. Most of the times, this works out ok because because the boy sort of includes her while conversing with others and I mingle and move around and have a good time. But there are times, when I wish she would be ok with saying hello, hanging out with the guests for a short while and then retiring to her bedroom. Sometimes dinner/parties lasts forever and for some odd reason, she insists on sitting there, bored and a silent force hovering around the boy till the very last guest departs. I think it stems from her mistaken belief that she has to play out her role as a 'host'. 
Nothing irks me more than her silly notion that my house is her home. 
The boy & I got into the monster of a fight over a year ago over this notion. That this home, that we invested so much of OUR time and energy in, is somehow her's by virtue of her having birthed him.
The boy says I should think of it as my parents' home too, which altogether is a silly notion. For the simple reason that my parents have homes of their own and do not need ours for some antiquated cultural reason.
My parents and his mom are always welcome in our home. I love mine deeply and I know he loves his mom deeply. But for frack's sake, this is our home. (And so say we all)
Things came to such a head last year, that for the sake of our marriage, the boy had to make arrangements, whereby she lives majority of the year with her daughter and visit us as need be. 
Which is not to say, I got everything my way viz-a-viz in-laws. The boy's brother still lives with us. And will continue to do so for the next two years till he's done with school. But that is offset by the fact that my sister (at long, long last) is coming to live with us in August to do her Masters!!! My parents arrive with her and will be with us for 3 beautiful weeks - such bliss. 

No comments: