Thursday, June 28, 2012

2 Updates

I have been wanting to spill my updates on the blog and show it some much needed love in forever.
I find that every time I think of rejoining the blogging world, I go through varying phases of:

  • Oh this incident is SO definitely a blog post
  • Geez - would you look at HER/HIM trying to blog
  • I am going to start blogging again tomorrow 
  • I miss reading/sharing/tirelessly blogging (as Beks put it) and the camaraderie there existed in shared angst 
  • Blog friends are now Facebook friends so don't know if there's anything that I want to talk about that hasn't already made it as a status or worse, what if they ask me about it on Facebook? 
  • And then I go get myself a tub of ice-cream and watch endless hours of my new found obsession and go to sleep
But gawd, much has happened. I mean, a mountain load of so much.  


One - we are officially infertile. Well, I am. And taking meds/injectibles and enduring a trillion ultrasounds to make my bum ovaries produce follicles that will grow large enough for the boy's sperm to come visit. 
I have, on average, two meltdowns / month regarding this. I am not sure if it's due to the meds or just the weight of that word 'infertile' bearing down on me. 
For instance, I grew angry and red and burst into silent tears when I left my doc's office yesterday, because a) the apt was at 7 am and I had, in a moment of bravado, sneaked out of the house to go to the apt by myself and the news was not exactly encouraging.
b) I saw this:
Curse you, Anne Geddes - I do not want to acknowledge your baby in its generic yet oddly endearing setting.

I called the boy and met him for breakfast and we went over our doc's options of continuing on meds and coming in for another ultrasound on Sat.

I: I want one moment of clear, unstruggled for victory. Where this whole process doesn't feel so sisyphean and a baby comes to w/o the tests and the meds and angst. I just want this one m...
IM/The Boy: You have to stop
I: huh?
IM: This is our reality. We know our diagnosis. We knew it'll be a struggle. We are actively engaged in the process. You can't be depressed every time we hit a hurdle. There are tons of options. And hey, when we do get the child, you have excellent guilt leverage - "You don't have time to call your mom? Rea-lly? Do you know what I went through to have YOU?"
So that made me feel better. Because who doesn't like having extra leverage to hold over future child's head? 


Two - I am now 34. Which frightens me. Not because of the baby stuff.
But because I am not exactly the much more sophisticated me (the me with a corner office with hordes of minions who I dismiss on a regular basis to go forth to carry out my fabulous strategies) that I thought I'd be at 34.

. Photobucket

So that hasn't happened yet.

I fear I may be one of those eternally thirsting for more-&-MORE success people. And my life plan that my father made me draw when I was 12 may need reevaluation.

Last year, I wen through a weird phase where I got locked into a silent but v.bitter competitive battle with co-workers. And I am ashamed of the person I turned into.
Every pin/status/work strategy/wardrobe choice  was to ensure that I appeared to be doing better than them. 
And this year, after much self-inflicted rehab, I am learning to not care so deeply of my image, as perceived by others.
And do the whole 'be the best that you can be' person.
I have this saved on my phone & in moments of despair/competitive rage/bitterness whip it out to read. Honestly, most of it does not relate to my situation of the moment but I have always adored 'To Thine Own Self Be True' and just saying that to myself centers me enormously.

I have even found myself quoting it while at my doc's office going through a transvaginal ultrasound. Can there be anything more ghastly modern medicine has come up with than a Transvaginal ultrasound. It truly is as disgustingly intrusive as it sounds.

So that's my story for the day. I am off now to go shoot myself with some egg enhancing juice.

3 comments:

la vida loca said...

The fertility thing sucks. big hug.

I TOTALLY hear you about where I am and where I thought I'd by by this age thing. I have not touched it at all and not even close. I tell myself that it could be worse...

30in2005 said...

Oh dear, have somehow missed checking your blog in absolute ages. I wish I had something comforting to say that didn't sound banal or cliched. I will say instead that Life is made up of moments and moments and everyone's life has some soap opera in it. The key I think is to playing the part you want to be with the fullest vigour and greatest humour you can muster. Thinking of you in what is clearly a challenging time. Smile dear girl smile!

ME said...

Thank you wise ladies.

Absolutely agree on the life 'made up of moments..' bit. It's so refreshing to have your inner thoughts agreed on by lovely others